Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Rain

"Rain Rain Go away come again another day , little Johny wants to play Rain Rain Go away" the nursery poem I was singing for the past couple of days. Every day evening its raining cats&dogs here. People call Bangalore Silicon Valley and its true. Not only because of presence of lots of IT companies also because of rain. Seattle is the wettest place in US and is called Silicon valley.
In childhood days the rain fascinates me a lot. Having hot "Onion Pakoda" with a cup of tea is the best combination I can think of in a rainy day. My lunch menu would be Milagu sambhar(Pepper Sambhar), Milagu Rasam(Pepper rasam), Paruppu thovaiyal (Dal chutney). Ultimate combination. It takes me back to Tanjore where my mom used to prepare this special lunch combination whenever it rains.
Like all child , I used to get afraid of Thunder and lightning. Grandma used to tell me , tell "Arjuna , Arjuna" nothing will happen. There is a mythological reason behind it. She used to say thunder is because of fight in the heaven between Gauravas and Pandavas. No cross question. I believed it blindly :) Playing in the rain is a strict No No during childhood days. Seeing the rain sitting near the window amazes me. Listening to radio with rain songs running in the background. Amazing.
I specially prefer Illayarja's rain numbers. "Andhi Mazhai poligirathu.." is one among the best with great lyrics. "Kannukul mul vaithu yaar theythathu, thanniril nirkum podhe verkindrathu "(Who stitched thorn in my eyes, I am sweating standing in water) . Hats off .
This song is somewhat nostalgic to me and it takes me back to my childhood.
See the song and enjoy.

4 comments:

sbharti said...

barsaat mein aayega jab savan ka mahina..
sajan ko bana lungi anguthi ka nagina ;-)

:D

Manivannan said...

Kahan hai mere Sajan :)

Ashwath said...

enjoying the rain is such a nice feeling...

ON a rainy day When I was in 3rd std I came from school sitting on a cow... still remember that (not joking)

Manivannan said...

@Ash..
Thatz a nice experience, share with u s in your blog :)