Saturday, January 26, 2008

Bribe baby Bribe

Back to blogging after a month.This time few incidents that happened in my life over the past 1 month.
Scene 1 : New Delhi International Airport. Jan 2nd 2008. Its 1.30 AM . I checked out my luggage and was going out to board a bus to Domestic Airport. While coming out of customs 2 security guys caught me and asked me whats there in my suitcase. Its marked 'X' by chalk piece. I am pretty sure the customs check has already been done.
1 security guy told me to go to customs and do checking once again. The other guy was reluctant to leave me. I asked the security where should I do checking . He told some gate number. I said I will go there. But the other guy stopped me from going there. He told not to go there but to give him some dollars/Euros/Rupees so that I can go out without doing proper checking. I told I will do checking once again and he said not to go there. After few minutes I went out.
Lesson : Security asking bribe to a passenger not to do his duty.
Scene 2 : Mysore-Mayiladudhurai Express. Me travelling in RAC. Got a co-passenger whose friend was not travelling that day. He gave me that seat. We agreed to travel by mutual consent. TTR was against it. Finally going back and forth with the co-passenger I got my seat. The role of TTR is null. But still when I got my seat by the other TTRs approval, I was asked a bribe by this guy.
Lesson : TTR asking bribe to do his duty.

Bribery is prevalent all over the world , but its quite explicit here in India. When these menace is going to change in India ?

7 comments:

CVR said...

Scene 1:
You got it checked again??


Scene 2:
You paid the bribe??

Manivannan said...

CVR ...Answer NO to both :)

CVR said...

Bravo!! B-)

Ashwath said...

Yes Mani.. This is a cruel truth which will go on and on... The worst part is babus(sarkari aapicers) take bribe not only for special favors but also to do their basic work...

Manivannan said...

Thanks CVR :)
Very true Ashwath.. The TTR is well dressed with french beard. The way he signalled to me to give bribe would put any govt officer ashame :(

labsji said...

Amused to find the date as 26 Jan!

Manivannan said...

Thats true Balaji. Even I am. Wrote the blog when I was free and it turned out to be our Republic day .. What an irony.