Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Boom Boom Guy


Tennis. The first time that I started watching this wonderful game was during the mid 80's when a guy from Germany was ruling the game. His name is Boris Becker. 1985( if I recollect correctly) Wimbledon finals. This guy was playing against Kevin Curren. Serve and Volley at its best. Becker Serving aces , falling left and right and volleying the ball. He conquered the net. What a player. He became my instant Hero.
The "never say die" attitude Becker showed in that match was fabulous. The "Boom-Boom" Becker arrived in the tennis world by being the youngest player to capture the "Wimbledon" title.
Just because of Becker I started following the game.His Serve. His volley. His return of Serve. His forehand shots. His backhand shots. I used to hold my breath watching his game.
Though I don't know the technicality of the game. I follow the game. I like the long rallies. Ace,Return of serve, Forehand volley, backhand volley, lobs of Becker are still fresh in my mind.
The Edberg-Becker dual is one of the best I have ever watched in the game. Wimbledon Finals 1990. Becker vs Edberg. I cannot forget that match.Edberg dominated the game throughout. The Swedish player was at his best on that day. Though Becker lost the match, he won millions of heart.
Though he stopped playing the game during the late 90's I am following Tennis ever since Becker days. Sampras came, Agassi Came, Goran came, Federer came, Nadal Came. But one guy always stands in my Heart and he is Boris Becker.

2 comments:

Ashwath said...

IMHO, Beckar was the one who revolutionized the game of tennis with his tremendous exuberance.

His dives across the court to reach the volleys were simply awesome...

My tribute to this true Legend!

Manivannan said...

@Ashwath
Yes..He is the legend. The dives to take volleys is patented by that guy :)