Saturday, June 23, 2007

Passion for the Game

"Cricket" is another religion in India. This is under statement.India's diversity is reflected in the game. The passion for the game is widespread. Right from my childhood the game has captured my attention and its still numero uno sport for me. If I could recollect correctly I started playing the game from my 2nd standard. Making bat out of coconut tree branches,playing with rubber ball. Not onlly rubber ball,we used to play with rubber cork(hard variety of rubber ball),Cork Ball,tennis ball and very rarely cricket ball.
Tennis ball cricket is a passion for us. Its lifeline for us during childhood days. Immitating players of that generation is a normal thing that I do in cricket field. I am kind of guy who loves spin bowling and playing with straight bat(textbook style). I recollect the day that I got my brother clean bowled with a full toss. Loosing slippers in the ground,coming back home and getting scolding from mom.Can't forget those days.
Tanjore is the place I stayed during my childhood days. The place I stayed had lots of empty grounds where we use to play all day. Fighting with the opposition team for giving out to a not out. Hitting the ball out of the ground and searching all through the evening. Gone are those beautiful days.
Shifting to Srirangam from Tanjore I couldn't get privilege of huge grounds. But still I use to play cricket in the streets. Hitting the ball in neighbours house and fighting with them to get the ball. Fighting with guys over the issue of taking the ball out of drain.
There is always fight between me and my brother in silly issues like out of no ball. You have bowled fast . I didn't notice when you bowled. My brother had always been very nice to me , giving second chances everytime.Playing cricket in school is a different experience. Getting caught by teacher for playing during lunch time. kneeling down in the hot sun althrough the evening for playing cricket in a rival school ground.Recollecting so many such things today makes me laugh.
I have always been a great fan of the game. Right from the Sunil Gavaskar,Krish Srikanth days to Sachin Tendulkar,Rahul Dravid days I have been following the game religiously.Though the kind of passion that I had for the game has died down a lot.

1 comment:

Ashwath said...

Mani,
Your blog made me feel like going back to the childhood days...

And ya.. getting the ball out of the gutter was the main issue those days ;-)